Boombox, Butterflies and Spirograph:
New purchases for the Canada Council Art Bank collection
We are pleased to announce that the Art Bank has acquired 11 new artworks for the collection. For more than 45 years, the Art Bank has been collecting relevant and important works of art by contemporary Canadian artists. These new acquisitions are representative of current artistic practice in Canada and continue to build on the Art Bank’s diverse collection.
The works represent a diversity of mediums by artists from across the country—most of them new to the collection. With more than 3,000 Canadian artists represented in the collection, we recognize that our acquisitions have historically favoured male artists; with these recent acquisitions, we are pleased to acquire the works of many talented women.
For artists, having their works become part of the collection represents a significant milestone. The Art Bank has always been regarded for supporting artists in the early phases of their careers and, in this case, it is true for some of the artists being welcomed into the collection. Such artists include Angela Miracle Gladue, Megan Krause and Kristina Søbstad.
Angela Miracle Gladue, Boombox (2018)
Megan Krause, Where it meets the Sky, the Horizon Melts (2017)
Kristina Søbstad, Unbound IV (2018)
The Art Bank is delighted to bring these works into the collection and make them available to clients of the art rental program, future exhibition opportunities, outreach activities and partner initiatives.
The newly acquired works can be seen online at artbank.ca, along with the rest of the collection.
- Shuvinai Ashoona – Tetrahedron (Tentacles and Globes) (2017)
- Jacynthe Carrier – Parade (2016)
- Julia Dault – High Voltage (2017)
- Robbin Deyo – Kaleidoscopic Spirograph Still Variation #8 (2018)
- Angela Miracle Gladue – Boombox (2018)
- Megan Krause – Where it meets the Sky, the Horizon Melts (2017)
- Zachari Logan – Blooming 1 (2017)
- Divya Mehra – Rebranding YOURSELF as SOMEONE (who could definitely do something else) (2014)
- Kristina Søbstad – Unbound lV (2018)
- Winnie Truong – Bandages (2018)
- Charley Young – Force Fold lll (2019)
About the Author: Amy Jenkins
Amy Jenkins is the Head of the Canada Council Art Bank. She is responsible for the management of the Art Bank’s operations and delivery of its programs including: art rental, loans, exhibitions and outreach activities.